Wednesday, November 26, 2008

College Football Weddings and the Trip Back From Seattle

I apologize if I haven't said much in the past few weeks. My stint in Seattle came to an end this past month, and I parlayed that with my cousin's wedding in Colorado to make for an epic trip across the American West. Here are some random thoughts from the trip.

-Most of the interior West would not exist if it were not for irrigation. Washington is supposed to be the Evergreen State, but most of the state is barren scrubland that's barely fit to run cattle on, much less farm.

-I didn't think that there were any mosquitoes in Utah. However, when we got out to change drivers at a rest stop on I-15 north of Ogden, we were ambushed by the monsters. I'm used to Minnesota mosquitoes, but these things were just as numerous and agressive. Washington State mosquitoes are slow, lazy, and easy to kill.

-My car (a 1990 Buick Park Avenue with a 3.8L V6 under the hood) got 28-29 MPG while roaring across Utah and Wyoming averaging 75+ MPH. This is with the trunk and back seat full of my crap.

-Why is 85-octane gas for sale in Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado? Altitude?

-My cousin and his bride are both Colorado Buffaloes, but her family is full of Nebraska Cornhuskers. There was a large TV showing VaTech-Nebraska outside the ballroom at the hotel the reception was being held at. Just as the best man took to the microphone to deliver his speech, yelling was heard out in the lobby. The door was quickly slammed shut, but it was still a bit embarassing. I learned later that this was the Huskers' punt return for a TD.

-I'm not bothered by very many things, but beef feed lots are truly the pillage of the earth. We drove past several in southern Idaho and northern Colorado. I realize the economics of agriculture are forcing up the size of operations, but ye gads! We drove past one on Highway 34 east of Greeley, and there had to be 75,000 head of cattle on about 50 acres of ground. And they stunk for two miles in all directions.

-There is a lot more civilization on Interstate 80 across Nebraska than there is on 90 or 94 across the Dakotas. Maybe that has something to do with the Platte River valley being the traditional highway west (the Pony Express, Oregon Trail, and the transcontinental railroad all parallel Interstate 80 at some point)

-The tallest building in the state of Nebraska is the state capitol building. However, as I saw it from I-80, the second-tallest appears to be the press box at Memorial Stadium. I'm gonna have to go there for a game someday.

-On the way back, we got a partial tour of the Big 12 North. Boulder, Lincoln, and Ames all were on our path of travel.

-I mentioned earlier getting 29-30 MPG roaring across Wyoming. The rest of the family that came to Colorado for the wedding drove an RV, and never bothered to take it above 65 to see what kind of mileage it would get. Following them back, I got the exact same mileage going 65. Go figure. Also, what should have been a 14-hour trip back dragged into 25.5 hours due to their paranoia about going a shred over 65.

-Since I no longer live in Washington, I'm going to have to figure out a new avatar. And no, I do NOT have the "SKIUMAH" plate that I had in my avatar. I got my normal plates before I thought about the "SKIUMAH" custom plate, and I didn't want to go through the trouble of getting another plate. Any suggestions are welcome.

2,275 miles, 8 states, and Lord only knows how many bottles of Coke later, I'm home. I'm looking forward to a bit of an unwind weekend in Madison this weekend.

No comments: